Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Nalbinding

Nalbinding (Anglicized Scandinavian term - pronounced nall (rhymes with mall) - bin (like the container)- ding (like the little dent) also spelled: nålbinding, naalbinding - information gleaned in an article by Larry Schmidt.


More learning from the Sheep and Wool Festival. The photo with the needle is the first bag before fulling (washing to shrink) the hanging bag is lightly fulled (slightly shrunk to bring the fibers closer and tighter but not to the felt stage - in felt stage the stitches are no longer discernible.

Andrea Mielke taught us this neat looping method of making a fabric from lengths of yarn.




This pattern is Oslo stitch. After several false starts, I was able to get the flow and finally create this bag. Am now working on a second one. It is going to take me some time to get this down, but shall persevere. I love the look and feel of these stitches.

3 comments:

Weaver said...

I always wondered how to say that! Thanks! The 'stitch' does look so cool. I'll definitely be adding this to my list of 'want to learn.' I can't wait to see more of your practice :)

Helene said...

Great to see some nalbinding in the blogosphere :)

Glorious Hats said...

Weaver and helene, thanks so much.