Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Small Purses or Cell Phone Cozys


On Sunday, a friend came over for a crafting day. She is a knitter and often fulls projects to create boiled wool or knit felt. (*Boiled wool is fulled (shrunken) knit goods to where the fabric is thicker and firmer yet the individual stitches still remain visible. Knit felt is fulled to the point where the stitches are no longer visible and very much resembles felt from fiber made in the traditional wet felting process.)

Ok, ok enough lesson. Anyway, she has never needle felted or used barbed felting needles, though she owns some. One of the neat ways to embellish boiled wool or knit felt is to needle felt into the base fabric - tangling, enmeshing the roving or yarns into the base fiber. For the practice projects we took a shrunken sweater and cut the sleeves into little purses. Linda put a snowman on her purse, I'm still working on a flower design on mine. We had lots of fun and doing these little purses got me creating more.

The one above is one of the more - the sequins and beads are hand sewn in place, the strap is rayon cording as is the button loop. The button is a hand felted bead. Just fun. And, drum roll, now have labels to add to things. So here is the inside with the label. Oh joy!

A big thanks to Jennifer of Jennifer's Jewels on Etsy for working with me and printing these nice cotton labels. Oh, it is so very nice to have labels.

4 comments:

Thoughts on Life and Millinery. said...

Ohhhhh....label...I want a label. It is such a big decision though; font, color, name.
Congrats. Now you can go around referring to "My label" which sounds so chic.
Thanks for the tutorial too.

Nikki said...

What a cute purse or cell phone "cozy". I never would have come up with that name. Nor would I have thought to make a purse out of a sweater. There is no end to creativty. Love the label. I have thought about them a great deal recently. One day I may actual purchase some.

Thoughts on Life and Millinery. said...

I've got a beautiful beaded yellow cashmere sweater with huge moth holes. I wonder: What do you think would happen if I cut it up and wash/shrank it with the beautiful beading still intact?

Glorious Hats said...

Thanks Jill and Nikki.

Must admit, the name cosy came from something I've read or seen either on Craftster or Etsy.

The cashmere sweater is ruined with the moth holes so worth a try. Maybe tie it in a pillowcase, just in case the beads come loose during the fulling.