Monday, February 25, 2008

Making a Trilby Style Hat - Stage 1

Christina and I have chosen the Trilby Style hat from the Japanese book for our project.


We think the patterns are "without seam allowances" and are proceeding on that premise. This is great for me, because I cut off seam allowances on most patterns. So with this one all that was needed was to trace, bond tracing to freezer paper and cut. (This gives me a nice thick pattern to chalk trace around on the fabric.) Yay! Pattern is ready.

Next selection of fabric and interfacing. Have laid these out and if still like them by Wed. hope to get started bonding interfacing to fabric.The print will be the "hidden" lining inside the crown. The solid will be the tip and the top brim. The check the crown and the lower brim.

7 comments:

Thoughts on Life and Millinery. said...

I had never thought about bonding patterns to freezer paper. Great idea! I HATE pinning anyway.

How do you manage to get an even seam allowance while cutting if you cut that off?

PhantomMinuet said...

How exciting! I love the fabrics. I can't wait to see how the hat turns out. :-)

Glorious Hats said...

Hi Jill, Using the European method of sewing. Marking the seam lines. I cheat and use chalk marking on the wrong side and pin on the lines to sew. Use a spacer on the cutting tool to cut.

But when great precision is required the real way is to chalk mark on the right side, thread baste the seamlines, then bast together from the right side, then fit, then go to machine and sew.

It was my great fortune to have 4-5 classes with Bobby Carr before she retired, and learned fine sewing techniques from her. She is often in my head still when I'm sewing.

Knitted Gems said...

I love the fabrics you picked out for this hat! I can't wait to see how it comes together. Will you be posting in progress shots?

Glorious Hats said...

Hi Min and KG, Yep expect an update at least once a week. And thanks to you both for comments on the fabrics. You are helping me go for it!

Cristina - madhatter wannabe said...

I also like the fabrics you've chosen, and I'm starting to panic because I'm behind but I hope to catch up during the weekend.

You know so much about sewing!!! I also mark the seam lines on the wrong side but it's because I'm not confident enough about seam allowances and that seems easier to me. My friend Nina tells her beginner students to cut two patterns, with and without allowances, so they get a feeling of distances, but that seems like a lot of work!

By the way, I wonder if I can find freezer paper over here... what does it look like? The pattern I've cut on tracing paper is so flimsy...

Rachel said...

Hi I am embarking on a hat making project.. I am trying to reuse some green coffee bean bags to make a tribly. Do you have any recommendations on what special tye of interfacing I could use to stiffen and mold the hat?

Rachel - Brisbane Australia