Monday, February 18, 2008

Take It Further Challenge - Feb 08

Here is my approach to the Feb TIF challenge. The color block for the challenge is shown also. Last month I worked on the concept challenge, this month tried the color challenge.

What I've done in the making of the placemats is not such a stretch. However the "further" portion for me in this month's challenge is to create a tutorial - photo and words - to help others do a similar project.

This idea came about when a young mom friend and her daughters came over for a craft day. The oldest child is nearly 5 - so I had placemats sewn and ready to decorate with iron-on appliques.

This worked so well for a group project. The mom does not sew much and asked me how to make the placemats.

Then when looking at this month's challenge colors - the light bulb hit - and this set of placemats is the result.

Oh yes, have a good draft up of the sew a placemat tutorial
www.flickr.com/photos/glorioushats/sets/72157603862620875/

Comments on clarity, flow, things that would make it better are very welcome.
To finish up on the challenge am still working on the follow up for iron-on applique.

Here is a finished placemat with the fabric glittery glue in place and dry.
We are using the placemats at the kitchen table and enjoying them very much.

4 comments:

Debbi Baker said...

What a great idea!! And I love the tutorial. The placements look lovely and are a really nice combo colour-wise.

EMBELLISHER said...

You have opened my eyes to how one can take the challenge further.To many more light bulb moments.Pretty place mats.

Glorious Hats said...

Thanks for the kind comments and thanks for visiting.

Knitted Gems said...

I have to admit I've never made placemats before; I never knew how. Thank you for this tutorial. I can't wait to try.
Yours came out so nice.