Thursday, March 13, 2008

Progress Notes: Trilby Hat Project from "Stylish Cloches"


This was todays starting point. All fashion fabric pieces cut, marked and laid out for pinning. Lining waiting and ready to go when outside is finished. The plaid thing, is a pressing ham. Will be needing that when it is time to hand baste the crown/top sections together. That will be another day.

Today was spent, sewing the sides to the top (crown to tip in millinery terms) to form two halves. And getting the brim ready to attach to the crown, once the crown is all together in one piece.

Again it was much pressing between short spurts at the machine. You see, one builds shape into the hat not only by the shape of the pattern pieces, but also by the stitching AND the pressing. Very much with the pressing. Natural fibers comply nicely and take shape with heat. But to get the shape to set requires letting the fabric dry and cool after applying the steam, heat, pressure. So one presses a few inches over the shape - here it is the crown being pressed on a round wood form, then lets those inches cool before continuing on the the next few inches. So work progressed on the pieces in increments, one crown-tip half, start pressing. Sew next crown-tip, more pressing on first crown-tip. Sew brim, press #2 crown-tip half. Well you get the idea.

Also in there is trimming seams, and etc. (also was working on a home dec project to keep the hands busy and give the pressed areas time to set.)

By the end of 2 1/2 hours - reached this point.

All set out and ready to go for next session. Hand basting the crown-tip sections together.

No doubt, most of you are bored to tears and oh my dears, this is a very short synopsis of all the neat things done to get this far. It was a wonderful tactile fabric manipulation morning for me.

If you've hung in for the whole adventure, thank you so much.

5 comments:

Thoughts on Life and Millinery. said...

Not bored! Watching intently...hoping for a gorgeous inspiring hat!

Glorious Hats said...

Thanks Jill, I too am hoping - but one never knows for sure until the very end. For me it is rather like a roller coaster. One minute am thinking it is progressing nicely and will be fab, then the next am fretting that it will be awful -- for instance in this one am already second guessing the interfacing chosen for the brim. although the book shows the same interfacing being used for all pieces - and the interfacing I used is looking wonderful for the crown-tip - not sure about it for the brim. Almost added another layer of a different type- more stiffness- but decided to let it be and see what this does this time. So appreciate your support. Hugs, Jane

PhantomMinuet said...

I'm not bored, at all. I'm fascinated. And I love your fabric choices for this one.

Glorious Hats said...

Ahh Min, you are wonderful to say that, and I'm quite sure you do not say things you do not mean, so really makes my day. Guess my sensitivity level on this is very high because my family members tell me their eyes glaze over and it is meaningless detail to them, so they don't read my blog much. On the other hand, it is wonderful to be able to share things that are so valuable and important to me with others who do enjoy either the process or the outcomes or both.

so glad you and Jill are finding the posts on this interesting, because I love writing these so much.

PhantomMinuet said...

To be perfectly honest, reading your blog has put me in the mind to start sewing again. In fact, I plan to use some of my tax return to buy a new sewing machine. :-)