Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Spring Colors for a Cold Climate


Birds are chirpping and calves are due any day now, but there is still a nip in the air and snow on the ground here in Northern Minnesota.

This year I'm welcoming spring and bringing it on with cheerful colors.

First up a Re-Fashioned wool felt hat. Beautiful peachy orange - but oh it was for a tiny head and way out dated. So took it apart - it was cut and sewn crown to brim - stretched both pieces, sewed them back together and reblocked. Then needle felted multi-color wool blend bat onto the crown. Added a pin creating a perky MN spring hat.

Next - still loving the deep teal - came up with this headband. Lighter for spring, backed it with linen instead of cotton flannel.

This coordinates with a purse I did some time back.



As well as with this new shawl - scarf.

12 comments:

Ladygrande said...

I just love your orange hat --- felting on top enhanced it just right! Gorgeous!

Glorious Hats said...

Thank you so much ladygrande!

Diane said...

I LOVE your work!

Quite wonderful:)

Kellybot said...

Fun!

Glorious Hats said...

Thanks so much Diane and Kellybot, you all are helping me out of the winter blues with the cheering words.
Hugs, Jane

PhantomMinuet said...

The orange hat is beautiful!

Glorious Hats said...

Thanks Min! Am thinking of doing the needle felt crown on several other other vintage hats that have good brims but troubled crowns. Am just so tickled to have you as a regular visitor and so appreciate your comments.

Knitted Gems said...

Wow, that orange hat looks fantastic! It's in such a cheery color - perfect for spring.

BTW - I love teal too. It always makes me smile.

Thoughts on Life and Millinery. said...

Orange is just the happiest color ever! Great retro fit.

No sign of spring yet? Oh dear...

I did go see Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day at the movies this afternoon. Hats and hats and more hats, all wonderful and great fun.

Treat yourself and a friend to the show if you can!

PhantomMinuet said...

Someone else mentioned to me the plethora of hats in "Miss Pettigrew", as well as the new Renee Zellweger movie. I guess I need to go see them. :-D

Sue in western Washington, USA said...

I bet that peachy hat would have fit me in its' original size. I have a tiny head and wear my hair close-cropped! The hat is absolutley wonderful now though.

zquilts said...

Your hats are absolutly breath taking. If I was a hat person - I would die for that orange number ! WoW!!!