Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Trilby Finished


In my rendition, this I think is the best look. Christina is most likely correct that the pattern that we thought was without seam allowances, actually has seam allowances of 5mm included within the pattern. This is a large and ought to have been 61 cm head size (23 inches), but is more like 62 cm (23 1/2 inches). It also seems to be a bit taller and longer brimmed than the photos in the book.

On the other hand, it may be super for a person with a large head. One of my friends from Grandma' Attic has trouble with most hats being too small, so will take this in for her to try. It definitely has a chic Japanese look and feel, which is grand.

The finishing touches included lots and lots of pressing as well as sewing the brim to crown and adding an internal headband. The way the crown-brim and ribbon are attached would have been worth the whole cost of the book, but I have been impressed with everything, from the photos, to the graphics, to the fine sewing techniques.

Stylish Cloches has definitely taken a place of honor in my fiberly heart and may never get to the bookshelf as it will be heavily used.

Thank you so much Christina for finding this book and enticing me into doing a hat project with you.

** for a view of the entire process in this hat see flickr photo album "Sewing a Hat."

5 comments:

PhantomMinuet said...

It's lovely. That fabric is just stunning. I wish I had a suit made out of it. :-)

Thoughts on Life and Millinery. said...

A lovely hat is born! I'm glad you liked the results enough to attempt another one sometime. That is high praise indeed.

Glorious Hats said...

Thanks so much Min and Jill!

Yep the fabrics would make a grand suit.

Cristina - madhatter wannabe said...

The resulting hat is wonderful, and done with such love an skill!... I'm sorry about my mistake regarding the seam allowance though, I feel terrible that the hat you made ended up being too big.
I re-made what I had done of mine and trimmed the extra seam allowance. I'm happy with the result. You can check it out here:
http://kuki.deprada.net/?p=149
Thank you for everything!

Glorious Hats said...

Oh Christina, Please do not be upset. I thoroughly enjoyed this whole experience. Even though this hat came out very large, it is still IMHO beautiful.

Actually people often ask for larger hats. There are very few fun beautiful hats for those with heads 23 1/2 inches or larger.

This style actually looked wonderful on my friend. It was actually fun to see her try on a hat and find it too large - a very unusual experience for her.

This whole adventure makes a wonderful story and I enjoy telling people how I did a hat project with a woman from Barcelona, Spain using a Japanese language book.