Thursday, April 17, 2008

Weigh-in with Your Opinion Please

Is it OK to sell hats made using patterns from a book? For instance the Trilby made and discussed here using the book "Stylish Cloches." OK if one sites the book as as source? or no OK no matter what?

When making custom clothing, hats, accessories - one may use a purchased pattern, using one pattern for one order.

When at sewing expos and talking with clothing and had bag authors, many say oh yes use the patterns for things you sell. Others say NO. So usually, I ask and go with what they say.

Now, how do I do this with a book in a language I cannot read, but am using based on general knowledge and graphics and wee bits of English words and numbers?

This has come up because the hat I made intended to be a gift is too big for my friend. And I'd rather make another smaller one than remake the already finished one. So I though about selling it on Etsy. What do you think? Is it acceptable to do that?

** note: in my quest to find Ohko Ishida, the book author, have done some googling and found a few neat articles on her "Heading in Her Own Direction" and "Daughter of Japanese hat-maker Hirata launches line." But those are from 2000 and 2002. Have not found anything more recent. Also found this and have emailed to see if they will help me find her.

6 comments:

Cristina - madhatter wannabe said...

That is a fair question.
I know patterns from Amy Butler specifically say you cannot use them for commercial purposes.
But we have no idea about this book... Unfortunately we cannot read it!
But I would say that selling a one off should be no problem...

Glorious Hats said...

Thanks Cristina, That is rather how I felt too. Appreciate you sharing your thoughts on it.

Janel said...

I'm an RSS reader...

I'm involved with a sewing forum that has a lot of professional pattern designers. Unless the pattern owner/copyright holder licenses the pattern to you for commerical use, you can get in big legal trouble by making it and selling it.

I wouldn't.

Marie said...

The majority of patterns published in books by designers cannot be used for commercial purposes. Thus, I would say that you could not make a line of Trilby hats and sell them in your etsy store no matter that the pattern wasn't followed precisely.

However, I agree with Christina, selling a one off is just fine.

Glorious Hats said...

Thanks Janel for stopping by and for sharing your opinion. Yep, if making more than one, I do get written permission for use; or draft my own design, or drape it or create it with out a pattern. And why I'm trying to locate the author.

Generally, I buy few project books; also patterns from the "independent designer" group. There are those who do authorize "use with attribution," they do get more of my business. And a number do not charge a fee for a small number- some under 25 some under 50.

It is definitely a sensitive subject.

Glorious Hats said...

Thanks Marie. It does serve one well to read the permissions.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this one.