Saturday, January 31, 2009

Mission to Improve Jewelry Photography - Hopefully NOT Mission Impossible

Sometimes one needs help. That is the case with me and photographing stone jewelry. Am afraid of the camera, sort of phobic and fearful that I am hopeless at taking decent pictures.

Is this pitiful or what? ------


Yep, you can surely see why it got few views and no hearts.

So desire to take photos that represent the husband's jewelry work well, show it off as it should be seen, while still showing it accurately in color and style.

Thankfully, am on an Etsy Team (ETTeam) where caring, help and support abide. Am working with Karen, another team member as coach. She has much patience, kindness and grit to hang in with me.

Karen is guiding and virtually holding my hand through improvements on two listings. We began with the earrings in the first photo.

After a week of taking photos, much hair pulling, whining and headaches on my part -- and poor Karen being kind and still helpful as I sent her still defective though definitely improving photos the listing looks like this:



The last photo on the side lineup is the previous first photo and will be replaced once other ETTeam members have the opportunity to look at an comment on the change.

If you would like to see some of the the progression of photos as I continued to reach for higher quality. Look here.

Still have much room to improve, but do believe some good progress has been achieved.

Thank YOU KAREN!

9 comments:

Tracy said...

Jane - great improvement! I'm trying to work on mine too. Difficult with limited resources but hey, you have to start somewhere!

Thanks for sharing!

Marie said...

The earrings look beautiful! You can really see the color of the stone in the new picture.

You remind me how I need to work on my pictures.

Licia said...

Soo much better! I can see the detail in the actual stone, that is great. I just love your hats too!

http://liciapots.blogspot.com/2008/12/oooh-nice-pictures-how-do-you-do-that.html

That is what I have learned about it so far

Lisa said...

Hi there! Thanks so much for visiting abeadaday! I wanted to tell you how much I love the velcro cuff bracelets. Those are awesome!!

Midnightcoiler said...

Wonderful progress! Karen is such a helpful lady. I'm enjoying your blog and am following it. See you in the treasuries!

PhantomMinuet said...

Well done.

BTW, I've been wanting to tell you how much I am complimented whenever I wear the black wool scarf with the aqua appliques that you made for me. Everyone just loves it. I'm thinking that I need to order another one in a different color. :-)

Adorn Me jewelry said...

What a difference, Jane! I love the new photos. :c)

Tina

capitolagirl said...

Great improvement! I've been trying to up the quality of my photos too. Here's a link to a post I recently wrote that links to helpful photography technique videos:

http://www.capitolagirl.com/2009/02/photographing-jewelry.html

niftyknits said...

great improvement, well done! I think a lot of us have some work to do, it's not easy.