Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Make a Hat Day

Today is Make a Hat Day...... are you game? are you going to make a hat? wear a hat? do something hat related?

Am I going to do any of the above? Well of course, of course. To start a little story on Elsa Schiaparelli, sharing with you the hat I made a few year back as a Homage to Schiap, and hopefully as the day progresses creating another hat based on Schiap's MadCap concept.

If Schiaparelli is not a known name to you, this article from 2003; Making Serious Fashion From Visual Jokes, and Doing It Like an Artist By ROBERTA SMITH is well worth a read. If you feel inspired to learn more then find Schiap's autobiography "Shocking Life" -- my copy is well worn and treasured. It is also where I learned to refer to Elsa Schiaparelli as "Schiap" -- Schiap is the way she prefered to be addressed, and so that is how I refer to her.

To bring the focus today to hats...... and making a hat. One of the concepts Schiap came up with in the depression times of the 1930s was taking the scrap fabric left over after making a dress; sewing it into a simple rectangle- then shaping and manipulating it into fun fanciful forms. Start with a rectangle 22 to 24 inches long by 11 or so inches high. Sew the side and top, hem the bottom, put it on your head and fold and tuck and manipulate away.

Here is one of my take-offs: Cockscomb Cap in Red Wool


Enjoy!

If you are making a hat today, or blogging about this or celebrating in some other fashion, do comment and leave a link to your activity.

Stay tuned here too as I'll return through out the day with my progress on making another Schiap inspired mad cap.

Hat ON!

6 comments:

Judi B said...

Super fun, Jane! I will be joining you. I already have my blog up and running on the topic, and will be adding some additional tips on hat trimming today. You know I'll be checking in on your progress.

Glorious Hats said...

Thanks Judi, great article on your blog and love the hat pattern in your Etsy shop too.

Cheri said...

Remembering my Mom today, she wore hats as far back as I can remember, she had style, her favorite color was red and she would have loved this “Cockscomb Cap of Red Wool”, it is so romantic!

Glorious Hats said...

Awww Cheri, thank you so much; your mom sounds like my kind of woman! Nice that today brings good memories of her.

Carolyn Fleming said...

Two years after the fact I've linked to your post in my Holiday Whiz blog. Your post is timeless, after all. Happy Make a Hat Day, everyone!

Jane Carlstrom said...

Thanks Carolyn, I did finish a hat 2 years ago and put it in a follow up post. Great fun. Still wear the hat too. Thanks for finding this.