Monday, February 15, 2010

Sometimes Presents to Others are really for Me

Or that is how this one feels--- it soothes my inner child



It will get passed on to NowSeven when she and her mom arrive here for our next crafting/sewing together day later this month. Want to see what is inside? Here it is:


Not just paper dolls, fabric "paper dolls" with clothes that cling - a great thing for those long car trips to visit her great grands in Iowa. Plus, Kim the "paper doll" maker was kind enough to sell me a grouping of "unfinished doll clothes." On craft day, NowSeven will get to do iron-on bonding of the clothes and back them with flannel, then cut them out.


When finished, she can pack all the clothes in the pocket -
How cool is this?

It is always challenging to find a balance in coming up with crafting projects -- to make something that delights the child and is within their skill level. Something that provides a challenge, yet is not too much, and can be finished in a few hours. NowSeven works awfully hard at her job of learning in school; when she and her mom come to craft, a light happy, yet still challenging project is the best. The bonding and cutting are great skills for her current level. A travel iron works well with a small rectangular ironing pad on a table for a pressing/bonding station.

Thanks to Kim of Kim's Crafty Apple for creating the quilted paper dolls. She has several variations available. Of course, you can buy them for a child or for yourself without turning them into a crafting project. It just worked well for me to do so; I was so thrilled that Kim was willing to work with me and customize the order to include the unfinished clothes.

And last but not least, here is me playing with the dolls. Well you know I had to do a shake test. :D

9 comments:

Jaci said...

What a sweet thing to do with your granddaughter! Jane, you are so special to pass on your love of crafting and at the same time support the artists of Etsy :)

niftyknits said...

Oh they are so lovely! You will have great fun passing on those skills, and I'm glad you got the chance to play first.

What is this life, if full of care, we have no time to stop and stare...

krex said...

Those ARE adorable, I think she will love them . I am still jealous that I live to far away to attend these craft lessons .
Happy crafting .

Rachel Follett said...

This is so sweet and adorable! I bet having a craft lesson from you would be great! :)

Kim's Crafty Apple said...

Yeah! I'm so happy you like them! I know my kiddo's love them but it's nice to hear they pass the test of someone who doesn't 'know' me :)

Enjoy craft day and be sure to let me know if you have any questions on the fusing process!

Thoughts on Life and Millinery. said...

Totally cool set of dolls! I could enjoy a set myself! Yah Etsy!

Waterrose said...

that was such a cool idea by Kim. I know that I would enjoy "playing" with that as well!

Glorious Hats said...

Thanks Jaci, Denise, Rachel, Jill and Rose.

Jill and Rose, as I look at the set -- I keep thinking this would make a great pillow on a couch or bed, perfect for us "older" girls to play with at home. :D

Chic de Cru said...

So Cute!! Wish my daughters were younger! They would have loved these!
Charlotte Phillips
chicdecru@blogspot.com